If you’re a GNC, Vitamin World, Total Nutrition freak like me, walking into one of these stores is deadly and sometimes confusing. There are so many different products and companies to help boost calorie burn and muscle gain, but are you getting the right nutrients and minerals to be in tip-top shape?
Here are some different options of pre and post workout supplements that you should be taking to get that body you desire.
If you’re weight training try taking these:
- 3-5 grams of arginine and 5 grams of glutamine 30-60 minutes prior to your workout.
- Crucial amino acids from whey protein (20 grams) pre-workout.
- 40 grams of slow-burning carbs such as a yummy sweet potato, oatmeal, bananas, or whole wheat bread 0-30 minutes pre-workout. (Try my combo: peanut butter and banana sandwich!)
- 3-5 grams of creatine 0-30 minutes prior or sip throughout workout during rest. (I personally don’t take creatine, but I know some girls will take about half a teaspoon before working out).
- 5-10 grams of leucine and 5 grams glutamine ASAP after your last set.
- 40-80 grams of fast digesting carbs 30-60 minutes post workout such as white bread or table sugar.
Now what about cardio?
- 200-300 mg of caffeine and 1-2 grams of acetyl-L-carnitine 30-60 minutes pre-workout.
- 6-10 grams of amino acid mix 0-30 minutes pre-workout.
- 20-40 grams of whey protein.
- 40-80 grams fast digesting carbs.
- (Replenish, Replenish, Replenish!)
What do all these “things” do for me and why do Ineed them? Well you technically don’t “need” them but they definitely do help!
- Acetyl-L-carnitine: amino acid that transports fat into mitochondria where it’s burned for fuel.
- Argininie: increases blood flow to muscle fibers pumping all your needed amino acids and oxygen to sore muscles.
- Caffeine: increase your fuel source and frees fat from fat cells.
- Creatine: helps fill muscles with water and gain strength.
- Glutamine: increases energy and keeps you from becoming fatigued.
- Leucine: increases muscle growth and boosts release of anabolic hormone insulin.
- Whey: keeps insulin levels down and helps burn more fat during rest sets.
Don’t feel exhausted and fatigued! Gear up, dose up, and get ready!